Our July meeting was on July 27th, discussing Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons by Lorna Landvik. Most enjoyed the book, and agreed that it was a nice summer read. Not a lot of meat to it like others we've read, but good.
Food was apps and deserts with lots of yummy food as usual.
We also discussed upcoming meetings and books and meetings:
- Back to school theme, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle, also
bring a favorite book from childhood and share about it. (there are many editions of this book, the link is just one of them)
October 26th - Knitting by Anne Bartlett.
This one isn't on Kindle, but it is on audio
We had our June meeting on July 6th. Karen hosted the group for some pre-knitting time since the shop was closed, dinner and general discussion. Since there were only 5-6 there, we decided to postpone the discussion of Angry Housewives to the August meeting.
The dinner was BBQ pork with yummy sides and a fantastic strawberry pie.
Our May meeting was on Friday, June 1st.
Book - One Good Dog by Susan Wilson
Food - ribs, baked beans, salad, corn bread, mashed potatoes, pie, banana bread, doggie bag cookies, etc.
June meeting date was changed to July 6th at Karen's house since the shop will be closed. Check your emails for directions, or contact one of the members. The book will be Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons by Lorna Landvik.
Makes 8-10 servings
2/3 cup butter, cubed
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
7 cups whole milk (I use all the whole 1/2 gallon)
4 large RED potatoes, Baked, cooled, peeled & cubed. (I have even micro-waved them)
4 onion greens, sliced
1/2 teaspoon pepper (I also add cayenne pepper)
1 pound bacon strips cooked and crumbled
1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2 cups)
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
In a Dutch oven kettle melt butter, stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk till thick, bring to a boil,
stirring constantly. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
Add bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, peppers. Stir in potatoes.
1 pkg (16 oz) elbow macaroni
3 cups (24 oz) 4% cottage cheese
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3 cups half-and-half cream
1 cup 2% milk
4 cups (16 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1) Cook macaroni according to the pkg directions.
2) Place cottage cheese in a food processor/blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
3) In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
4) Drain macaroni, transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce, toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13 x 9 baking pan. (DISH WILL BE FULL) Combine bread crumbs and butter, sprinkle of the top.
5) Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.