Makes 12 servings (1 cup each)
1 pkg (16 oz) elbow macaroni
3 cups (24 oz) 4% cottage cheese
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3 cups half-and-half cream
1 cup 2% milk
4 cups (16 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1) Cook macaroni according to the pkg directions.
2) Place cottage cheese in a food processor/blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
3) In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
4) Drain macaroni, transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce, toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13 x 9 baking pan. (DISH WILL BE FULL) Combine bread crumbs and butter, sprinkle of the top.
5) Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.